It’s that time of year again! The weather is getting colder, the days are getting shorter, and the holiday commercials have begun flooding our lives! 2020 has brought major lifestyle changes to everyone in our country and has affected everything we do. Holiday shopping is not immune to this. We have all been accustomed to either running out to the big box retailer or special ordering that hard to find item for that hard to buy for relative. This year, due to travel and shipping issues, along with more folks staying home, it will be even more difficult to procure the perfect present.
Fret not, holiday shoppers – I’ve got the perfect solution for your acquiring angst: Holiday shopping in North Myrtle Beach! NMB has fantastic and unique options for getting Grandma or Cousin Shawn that ideal gift that they’ll treasure for years to come. Our local shops here make it easy! There is such a variety of clothing and specialty shops between Hwy 9 and Hwy 22, that you’re destined to discover a token of your love apart from the typical small appliance, socks, or a tie (unless you are looking for those things – of course!).
Here’s some great suggestions of just some of our local shops which can make your next trip to the beach productive as well as relaxing:
Tomlinson’s has been a NMB fixture for generations of travelers. This traditional department store harkens back to a time before “Wally-World” took over. You’ll find truly unique low-country gifts as well as items that “you never would think of as a gift” option – but hey, they fit the bill! What’s also a fixture with Tomlinson’s is the over-the-top customer service. These folks love to help travelers find exactly what they are looking for. Check them out here
Bass Pro Shops
Bass Pro Shops can be found in many states, however the store model in our area is more catered to Saltwater Fishing and Low Country Hunting. BPS sits right on the Intracoastal Waterway here, also making it a boat specialist. During the holidays, Bass Pro Shops has not only great deals (be sure to check out the front of the store for UNBELIEVEABLE deals on T-shirts, flannels, jackets, and stocking stuffers!) but also features “Santa’s Wonderland”! This mini-village within the store has fun for the entire family with an electronic shooting range, archery range, virtual fishing, remote control cars, and of course – Santa himself! Free pictures and craft workshops make for everlasting memories. Here’s where you can find it: Bass Pro Shops Myrtle Beach
Now here’s an AMAZING and SPECTACULAR local North Myrtle Beach shop that caters to the imagination and superhero in all of us. Player’s Choice is not only a terrific place to find a gift for the pop culturist in your family, but also as a destination for fun on your next trip to the Grand Strand. Here you’ll find Comics, new and vintage Video Games and Systems, Figures, DVD’s/Blu-Ray’s, Anime, Pokemon, Magic: The Gathering, figures, and T-Shirts. The customer service here is wonderful and welcoming. One of the biggest draws to this popular Myrtle Beach store is the colossal cornucopia of Arcade Games: Pac-Man, Ms. Pac Man, Donkey Kong, and Dig-Dug are joined by TMNT, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, as well as New/Classic Pinball Machines. What’s also cool is they are all only $.25 a play! There’s even an 80’s style arcade next door with $.25 games. Here’s the info: Player’s Choice Myrtle Beach
When Barefoot Landing opened in 1988, it quickly became the most visited attraction in North Myrtle Beach. With over 27 acres of specialty shops, restaurants, unique attractions, and more, Barefoot Landing is definitely a prime destination for Myrtle Beach travelers. Alabama Theater and The House of Blues also find their homes in this wonderful complex. When you visit here, you’ll find a variety of opportunities to find that gift that you can’t get anywhere else. For example:
- “Black Market Minerals”. This shop features beautiful mineral specimens, fossils, gemstone jewelry, Bali handcrafts, and more!
- “PURPLEologist”. I challenge you to find a more unique store! This place is heaven for the lover of all things PURPLE! Clothing, accessories, gifts, and even housewares decked out in Purple are just the beginning. It is a must-stop for those going to Barefoot Landing for the first time (or fans of Prince, Vikings, or Ravens)!
- “Tiki Jim’s” – Absolutely one of the BEST places to get Myrtle Beach & Funny T-shirts, Tiki Jim’s is a fun, lively environment with high quality gifts and novelties.
- “Crabby Jack’s General Store” – The official General Store of Barefoot landing is a great starting off point for buying unique Myrtle Beach gifts – all inspired by the history and culture of our area. You’ll find everything you need to complete your holiday shopping. (Personal note: My family loves to sit out on the rocking chairs and enjoy a classic soda like RC or Sun Drop, while watching passerby’s enjoying the day!)
- “Christmas Mouse”. When you first enter Christmas Mouse, you’re greeted with the joyous sounds of Christmas music, jingle bells, the smell of cinnamon and spice, and more holiday ornaments, trinkets, and decorations than you can shake a stick at! Make your shopping trip complete with a visit to the Christmas Mouse!
Check out all Barefoot Landing Shops here: Barefoot Landing
This year, more than any other, is a great opportunity to show the people you love how much they mean to you with a thoughtful, unique gift. These local shops are just a few of the wonderful places to have fun while you shop. We at Avista Resorts are here for you as a safe, comfortable, and clean headquarters for your holiday shopping. Relax with gorgeous ocean views and enjoy indoor/outdoor pools, an onsite restaurant and sports bar, and more. Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, and enjoy your time this season!
Jason Coker is originally from the metropolis of Burlington, NC and is passionate about vacation experiences. Having lots of hard-to-buy-for folks in his family – He’s very lucky to live in a great place like North Myrtle Beach! An aficionado of music, sports, and all things geeky, Jason spends his free time performing music, grilling out, and relaxing with his son, daughter, and lovely wife, Amy.